Join Our Herd!
Our Spring 2020 Equus Coach Training program is now enrolling.
Spaces are limited. Register by March 6th 2020.
Not ready to register? Join our Interest List to receive updates about our future trainings.
If you have questions or you’d like to discuss the program prior, please email us or
schedule time to speak with our program advisor, Erin Cutshall.
Equus Coach Training Overview and Exciting Updates for 2020
Deepen your relationships. Transform your patterns. Change your world.
We’ve upgraded our Equus Coach Training:
Over 30 live, small-group teleclasses led by our experienced instructors.
A comprehensive curricula designed to help you gain the theoretical knowledge and hands-on experience to become a masterful Equus Coach capable of facilitating life-changing encounters with horses.
A dedicated community of Master Facilitators and Equus Coaches who will be there at every step to ensure you get the guidance, support, and encouragement you need to reconnect with your own true nature and learn to guide others skillfully through this powerful process.
Plus, now, your tuition also includes:
Three 4-day hands-on Onsite Training Intensives.
Three one-on-one mentorship calls with your teaching instructor to check-in after each Onsite Training Intensive.
The complete cost of your certification and review process is now included. (No extra fees or costs to become a Certified Equus Coach.)
Plus, take advantage of our NEW 12-month payment plan to help make this investment in your personal and professional development more manageable.
A Transformative Journey of Personal and Professional Development Unlike Any Other
- Embark on a profound journey of personal and professional transformation
- Learn to facilitate life-changing experiences with horses for yourself and one-on-one with clients
- Gain the skills and support to create your own thriving Equus Coaching business or enhance your current coaching practice
- Join a loving and supportive community of like-minded entrepreneurs who care deeply about your success
Are you a therapist, social worker, or educational or mental health professional? Deepen your therapeutic skill set by adding equine-assisted coaching to your individual, couples, and family sessions.
Subjects covered in the training include
- Equus Coaching Fundamentals – learn and implement core coaching principles as well as tools specifically tailored to humans learning and growing in dynamic partnership with horses, and learn how to blend your current knowledge and skills with the feedback from the horses.
- Equine Psychology, Husbandry, Horsemanship and Safe Handling – learn all about horse health, reproduction, digestion, safe handling and well-rounded ground skills—even if you haven’t ridden or worked with horses before.
- Equine-Assisted Activities – increase client engagement and progress by incorporating experiential activities with horses into your clinical or counseling practice.
- Shifting Trauma Patterns – incorporate powerful healing with horses into the work you do with clients who have experienced trauma.
- The Energetics of Communication and Authentic Leadership
- Business Fundamentals – learn basic steps for setting up a successful practice (or enhancing your existing practice) including setting up a partnership with an equine facility in your area.
- Marketing – examine strategies to introduce your Equus sessions to your community.
- Ethics – engage with guidelines about Equus Coaching.
Note from Koelle:
Are you ready for the journey of a lifetime?
Throughout my life, there have been many times that I have felt a deep sense of hopelessness. These periods have been characterized by a lack of trust in life — and in myself. Again and again, I’ve found solace in the wisdom of nature. Horses have offered me a powerful roadmap for restoring a genuine state of peace and playfulness within myself. Their fierce honesty and gentle guidance have revealed profound ways for all of us to explore, play, and reconnect with our innate wisdom and harmony.
It is a gift and a privilege to witness this incredible process occur in myself and others! When we begin to view our life patterns from a place of compassion and curiosity instead of judgment, we suddenly gain access to a vast world of creative possibility. We stop feeling alone and start to recognize that we are all an integral part of a thriving whole.
I’ve now spent the last twelve years traveling the globe, sharing and teaching what has become Equus Coaching. The Koelle Institute for Equus Coaching has blossomed into an exquisite herd of talented instructors, dedicated Master Facilitators and passionate Equus Coaches who help share the healing insights of horses with others. Together, we can make this transformative work more accessible than ever, at a time when it is so desperately needed.
I would be honored to have you join us for Equus Coach Training to partner with horses, and dive deeply into your own healing, as you learn how to facilitate truly life-changing experiences for your clients, that can help transform our world.
Spring 2020 Equus Coach Training Outline
If you have a passion for helping individuals to lead their best lives and a passion for learning life lessons from animals, then this course may be for you.
When you combine the powerful tools of life coaching with the feedback and wisdom of horses, you and your clients are in for some life-changing personal development work. Gaining the skills to offer your clients this experience can dramatically help accelerate them through their stickiest of roadblocks.
No prior experience with horses is needed.
This is a thorough and comprehensive course that will provide you with all of the necessary tools to become a very effective Equus Coach®. When you apply what you learn in this course to your practice, you will have the skill set to begin offering one-on-one private Equus Coaching sessions to your clients.
- This course has been designed to enable busy working adults to attend successfully.
- There is no need to own a horse(s) or have horse property. We’ll show you how to create a beneficial partnership with other equine facilities.
- All Equus Coaching sessions take place on the ground and do not involve riding.
- This course is designed to prepare students to conduct one-on-one private Equus Coaching sessions rather than group workshops.
Whether you are already a seasoned life coach, a competent horse person, or someone with no experience at all, we pride ourselves on providing one of the most unique and comprehensive curricula available.
During this course, here are a few of the subjects you can expect to learn:
- Highly effective life coaching tools that will enable you to help your clients reconnect to their own true nature.
- A thorough foundation of equine psychology.
- Basic equine husbandry (i.e., the equine digestive system, reproduction, equine health, good care practices and safe handling).
- Activities and exercises that will help you develop well-rounded horsemanship skills and competency on the ground.
- Advice and insights for setting up a partnership with an equine facility in your area.
- Knowledge of how to blend your life coaching skills with the feedback from the horses in order to become an Equus Coach®.
- The skills and awareness to help your client witness the impact of their non-verbal language and energetic communication.
- How to help your clients transform the way they treat themselves and create authentic, healthy, open-hearted relationships with others.
Coaching Groundwork – Video Conferencing Teleclasses
- Over 30 teleclasses
- On Tuesdays at 12PM PT | 3:00 PM ET
- The first teleclass begins on Tuesday, March 24th, 2020
- The final teleclass is April 13th 2021
This course includes interactive teleclasses — that take place via internet teleconference — designed to teach and practice the fundamental coaching tools that we will be using during the training. Enjoy connecting and learning alongside your cohort as our highly-skilled instructors guide you step-by-step in cultivating new levels of awareness and the powerful coaching tools we use to support clients.
- Introduction to the Course and Intention Setting
- Understanding the Mind and the Mind-Body Connection
- Dreaming, Creativity, and Symbology
- Presence and Building Community
- Peer-to-Peer Coaching Intensives
- Meeting Your Clients Where They Are
- Ethics and Working with Difficult Clients
- Incorporating Equus into Your Coaching Practice
- Check-in Group Support Calls
- Client Case Studies and Discussions
- Final Assessment Prep and Coaching
We believe in a highly supportive, nonjudgmental community environment to enable each student to flourish. This course teaches a variety of unique skills and with the nature of the horse work, we are always being asked to embrace a new level of awareness of our own patterns of behavior as well as how we form relationships with others.
In order to best support you on a deep dive into your own personal development before seeking to serve your clients, we have designed this training with a high level of instructor and facilitator support. Each Equus Coaching onsite has one main teaching instructor per ten students plus additional actively-supporting facilitators whom you will meet during your training. This is a warm, playful community that is committed to helping you authentically reconnect with your own well-being, celebrate your unique journey through life, and help you create a truly life-changing experience for the clientele you wish to serve.
Equus Coach Onsite Training Intensives
This year the Equus Coach Onsite Training Intensives will be:
- Onsite Training Intensive #1 May 21st – 24th, 2020 in Paso Robles, CA
- Onsite Training Intensive #2 Sept. 17th – 20th, 2020 in Paso Robles, CA
- Onsite Training Intensive #3 May 20th – 23rd, 2021 in Paso Robles, CA
We will send you the driving directions and lodging ideas once you have signed up for the course.
Onsite Training Intensive #1
Location: Paso Robles, CA
The first onsite training intensive is designed to help you get a leg up in understanding the equine world as well as to experience and practice the skills you will eventually be sharing with your clients.
May 21st – 24th, 2020: Equus Coaching 101
During this first onsite training intensive you will learn the basics of being an Equus Coach. This onsite will be led by Koelle’s team of Master Facilitators.
We will help you gain the necessary awareness and skills for how to work with horses and understand the wisdom of the language of Equus. We will also be facilitating Equus Coaching sessions for you that will help you shift the areas in your own life where you are feeling blocked or unsure. We believe strongly that in order to truly serve clients well we have to genuinely open ourselves to dissolving the patterns that no longer serve the life we yearn to create. Only then can we help the client to cross the same bridge. This onsite is four full days of laughing, exploring, playing, connecting and peeling away all of the cultural layers that prevent us from feeling free to be our wholehearted selves.
Are you new to horses? Don’t worry for those of you who are new to horse world we’ll spend the first few days during this onsite training helping to you develop your skills, overall understanding and awareness of all things equine.
Are you quite familiar with horses? We’ll support you in furthering your horsemanship skills and keeping your relationship to these remarkable teachers.
Onsite Training Intensive #2
Location: Paso Robles, CA
September 17th – 20th, 2020: Equus Coaching Intensive
The second onsite is a 4-day Equus Coaching intensive and practicum where you will begin to practice your Equus Coaching skills with your fellow classmates. You will receive plenty of feedback and support from your Master Facilitator Instructors while developing your skills at working alongside your equine partners to better serve your clients.
Onsite Training Intensive #3
Location: Paso Robles, CA
May 20th – 23rd, 2021: Practicum Review
The third onsite is a 4-day gathering where you can practice implementing your new skills with volunteer clients! You will receive support as well as detailed feedback and assessments from your instructor. During the first two days of this final onsite we will also be taking the time to see where you might need further support with your overall horsemanship skills. Then, on the remaining two days we’ll bring in volunteer clients from the local area for you to practice your Equus Coaching skills.
This is a powerful opportunity to assess all that you’ve been learning and explore the implementation of your Equus Coaching. Your teaching instructors will offer you detailed feedback to asses the areas where you’re highly effective as well as the areas that may need further practice or focus.
Final Skills Assessment Review Process for Certification
At the conclusion of your 3rd onsite we’ll arrange a one-on-one call with you to assess any further practice needed to be submitted for video review. You will be eligible for certification after all your assignments and volunteer hours have been completed.
To receive your certificate of completion, you will be required to:
- Attend all three in-person onsite training intensives.
- Turn in homework assignments from all of the teleclasses.
- Complete 55 volunteer hours
- 5 hours of riding lessons. (If you are already a rider, choose a discipline with which you are unfamiliar.)
- 5 hours watching and observing horses simply being horses in an open pasture.
- 20 hours doing any type of hands-on experience with horses or learning about the horse industry. (If you are already very familiar and highly experienced with horses, these 20 hours can be spent coaching clients. Choose the area where you feel you need more practice.)
- A minimum of 25 hours practicing 1-on-1 Equus Coaching. Coach at least 5 different individual clients in private sessions (not a workshop setting). They can be volunteer or paying clients.
- Have at least 5 clients submit feedback to us for review.
- Submit video to be reviewed of any remaining skills assessment we may need to see after your 3rd onsite.
Program Logistics at a Glance
- We’re very excited to share that we’ve recently upgraded the Equus Coaching Training to include an additional hands-on onsite training intensive. Your training now includes three 4-Day Onsite Training Intensives (May 2020, Sept. 2020, May 2021) as well as over 30 live teleclass calls over video conferencing and additional one-on-one mentorship calls.
- The overall program starts on March 24th, 2020 and will conclude on May 23rd 2021.
- All teleclasses will be held on Tuesdays at 12:00 PM PT / 3:00 PM ET for roughly 90 mins. Live participation is highly encouraged.
- We know you have busy working lives so the teleclasses will be recorded in case you have to miss a class.
- Our first Introductions and Overview teleclass will kick-off on Tuesday, March 24th. The remaining teleclasses will be held on Tuesdays spread throughout 2020 & 2021. The final teleclass will occur on April 13th 2021.
- The training will conclude at the completion of your 3rd onsite training intensive, May 20th – May 23rd 2021.
- A more detailed schedule will be provided once you are enrolled in the program.
- A willingness to dive deeply into your own personal development.
- A desire to support others in their personal transformation.
- The physical fitness necessary to actively work with horses
- We recommend that you attend at least one in-person Equus workshop or a private Equus Coaching session with Koelle Simpson or another Master Facilitator trained by Koelle listed here.
- No previous horse experience or coaching experience required.
“I now feel that I can really do this work and help make the world a better place.
The coaching skills that I have developed—with the help of the teachers and my peers—are feeling very grounded and integrated for me. My deepened relationship with horses and my horsemanship skills are feeling strong, rewarding and supportive in my process as a newer Equus Coach. I am ready to share the beauty of coaching with the magic of the horse with my community and friends. It feels amazing and glorious to have this new confidence in my life path!”
“The onsite experience for this training were four of the most emotional and powerful days. Within the safety and support of the instructors, I moved through a recent trauma. I left with a brain full of new knowledge, a heart full of new relationships and experiences and a body that had known a good day of movement and contact with nature.
The coaching lessons I’ll apply professionally, as an LCSW and Director of a Youth and Family Service Organization, and will have a positive and lasting impact on my leadership skills and approach to life.”
“For me, it confirmed the dream I’ve been hatching! I loved my time with the horses and learning about them. I enjoyed the process that built within my small group – getting to know each other and the unique things each person brings to life, and to the group.
Observing the coaching felt like a privilege. Being coached, I saw my pattern of my tendency to be very willing to meet the need of others, but then, at times, lose my connection to myself or others if I do that when it isn’t synchronous with where I am. Definitely good to know and be aware of in life!”
Registration Process and Fee Schedule
Program Fees & Tuition
- The cost of the Equus Coaching Course is $10,750 (payment plans available below). Your tuition includes:
- Over 30 live interactive teleclasses of thorough in-depth curriculum
- 3 – Four Day Equus Coach Onsite Training Intensives with a variety of highly skilled teaching instructors
- Lunches, drinks, and snacks at the onsites are included
- Three 1-on-1 mentorship calls with your teaching instructors
- Your Certification process.
- Tuition does not include breakfasts, dinners, airfare, lodging, or transportation to or from the facility.
- For LMFTs, LPCCs, LEPs, and LCSWs, the cost of Continuing Education (CE) credit (up to 54 hours) is an additional $295 and will be billed separately. Learn more.
We know that this program is a significant investment of your time and financial resources, and we take that to heart. We have carefully structured our curriculum to ensure you will be equipped with everything you need to become a successful Equus Coach. We offer one of the most comprehensive programs available, with a high instructor to student ratio, and a supportive community dedicated to your success.
Register for the Spring 2020 Equus Coach Training Program
- Place a deposit of $875 to hold your spot or choose your payment plan option or to pay-in-full. (NEW 12 month payment plan available!)
- Then, check your inbox for a confirmation email that will include class information plus a link to a brief questionnaire that helps our instructors get to know you better.
That’s it! No other preparation is required. Just come as you are, where you are.
Spaces are limited. Register by March 6th, 2020.
The deadline to register is March 6th, 2020. Spaces are limited thus we strongly recommend putting down a deposit.
Upon registering for Equus Coach Training, you may select a payment plan or you may hold your spot with a nonrefundable $875 deposit. If you place a deposit, you will be asked to select one of the following payment plans by March 6th 2020.
The Koelle Institute offers payment options to help support you in your investment.
Your payment options include:
- Pay-in-Full: $10,750 upon registering for Equus Coach Training, we will apply your deposit fee and/or early bird discount where applicable.
- 5-pay Payment Plan: Make five (5) equal payments of $2,150 each over 5 months
- The first payment of $2,150 is due upon registering for Equus Coach Training,
- with four (4) additional payments of $2,150 paid over the next four months,
- Adjustments will be made to your monthly amount to apply any deposit fee and/or early bird discount where applicable.
- NEW! 12-pay Payment Plan: Make twelve (12) equal payments of $896 each over 12 months
- The first payment of $896 is due upon registering for Equus Coach Training,
- with eleven (11) additional payments of $896 paid over the next 12 months,
For LMFTs, LPCCs, LEPs, and LCSWs:
The cost of Continuing Education (CE) credit (up to 54 hours) is an additional $295 and will be billed separately. Learn more about CE credit for this training.
- For cancellations made 60 days prior to the published start date of our Equus Coach Training or Master Facilitator Training, the Koelle Institute for Equus Coaching will offer a full refund.
- For cancellations made between 59 to 31 days from the start of your program, we offer a 50% refund.
- For cancellations made 30 days prior to the program start date, no refunds will be offered.
- Your deposit of $875 is non refundable but can be applied to future programs or events within 1 year.
- Please note that any payments made that are non-refundable can be applied to a future Equus workshop, 1-on-1 coaching requests, a future Equus Coach Training or Master Facilitator Training program, to be used within one year.
Our Spring 2020 Training is now enrolling!
Spaces are limited. Register by March 6th, 2020.
Learn More About Equus Coach Training
Equus Coach in training, Kit, describes how Equus Coaching allows her to introspectively understand certain behavior, through it being reflected back to her when working with horses.
Download & Listen to Recent Q&A Calls about Equus Coach Training
Koelle Interviews Teaching Instructor Travis Stock: Travis has been teaching at the Institute for five years. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Family Studies and Human Development and a Masters in Social Work.
It’s his past career, in Social Work, that’s helped uniquely shape his coaching practice. Hear his story, learn how this training can help you shape your previous experiences into your own unique practice and more. Download and listen to this special interview.
How Horses Can Help Us Navigate Change with Koelle: With so much in the world feeling uncertain, it can feel challenging to navigate personal and professional changes—including a shift into a new career as an Equus Coach. Download and listen to this powerful call.
Want to join future live Q&A calls with Koelle? Subscribe to our Equus Coach Training Interest List. We’ll send you reminders about this and upcoming live calls, as well as important updates about our Equus Coach Training program.
Frequently Asked Questions
Curious about our methodology?
Here are just a few topics we focus on during an Equus Coaching session:
In our approach to Equus Coaching, we go beyond merely assessing how we are at setting goals and accomplishing our tasks or looking at our overall communication weaknesses. We believe that these sessions are a unique opportunity to support our clients to recognize the patterns of the verbal mind, to listen to the greater intelligence of the physical body, to integrate the wisdom of emotions, and to restore a sense of trust in their personal journey through life.
We support clients to become more aware of the cultural stories we tend to adopt as well as the inner dialog that keeps us feeling stuck such as: “I’m not good enough,” or “I have to get something right in order to be worthy.”
We support clients to observe the patterns that play out in how we treat ourselves.
We support clients to look at the various places where they may have shaped a limited identity of themselves while learning to feel safe to express themselves more fully.
We focus our Equus Coaching sessions not only on enabling clients to notice particular patterns causing them to feel stuck or confused, but also on providing clients with the opportunity to practice integrating a new internal perspective while allowing the horse to provide them with honest feedback.
We incorporate the learning, research, and insights from Mind-Body Coaching, Somatic therapies and well-known personal development authors such as Byron Katie, Brene Brown, and life coach Dr. Martha Beck.
Our Spring 2020 Training is now enrolling!
Spaces are limited. Register by March 6th 2020.
Please email Support@KoelleInstitute.com if you have any questions.